UPDATE: I'm an idiot, Andrews Sisters has four esses!
Ok, so I'm minding my own business on Friday and reading this AP article about Greg Oden.
I love how they throw in off the cuff quotes now and then and this one, where Oden is discussing his history of music course, caught my eye:
"The crazy thing is, I go to movies a lot. And now that I've had that class, it's like every movie has an old song. I'm sitting there watching a movie and I'm like, 'THAT'S the Andrews Sisters from 1951!"'
Most people, including me, read this and laugh. Not a toothy mouth gaping Simpsonsesque laugh, but a nice chuckle nonetheless as we find it mildly amusing that an amazing baller would really care about 56 year old pop songs by girl bands (and the Andrew Sisters were the Spice Girls of the 30s and 40s, believe me).
Well, I laughed, but yearned for more knowledge, just what song and movie was he describing? And I know you're curious too, so I'll tell you what I've come up with.
A search search on imdb, yields:
Here are the soundtracks containing andrew sisters
1. Drei D (1988)
Bing Crosby and The Andrew Sisters
2. Life and Times of Hank Greenberg, The (1998)
Performed by the Andrew Sisters
3. Repo Man (1984)
The Andrew Sisters
4. Zacharia Farted (1998)
Performed by The Andrew Sisters
1. Hmmmmm. Was he watching Drei D, a German, part black and white, film directed by Sönke Wortmann that only gets 6.5 out of 10 stars? prolly not.
2. How about the The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg, a documentary on the first great Jewish hitter? Definite possibility, although, documentaries aren't really what I think of when people say "movies."
3. Directed by Mike Rohl, Zacharia Farted is described as a road movie and its tagline is
"In search of a name, a ghost, and adventure (locksmith). They found themselves."
I'll let that speak for itself (blogga).
It was written by an actor who plays the lead, Colin Cunningham. I think the most interesting thing about this guy is the weird morph thing he does with all his headshots on his website. Very bizarre. He looks really familiar, in that "Hey, I'm an actor and I always wear a goatee or Van Dyck, so sue me." sort of way.
So, to sum up, I think the most interesting about Zacharia Farted is the past tense verb in its name. (I find that farting makes me giggle.)
Wait, wait! This just in: Zacharia Farted won the Audience Favourite award at the Victoria Independent Film & Video Festival in 1999. Can't argue with that.
4. How about Repo Man, probably Emilio Estevez's finest moment? I like to imagine Oden also yelling out "Hey this is Suicidal Tendencies from 1983!" as Institutionalized(youtube) is played. Or "This is the Burning Sensations covering Jonathan Richman's "Pablo Picasso!" (youtube)
This has got to be it. Don't you think?
Just imagine if needed a real Repo Man, I can think of another OSU star, he can turn to .
Well, if you're at the Final Four and you get the chance, can you ask Greg for me which movie it was?