Worst ever song to top the Billboard Hot 100 ~ NanoThoughts 1.0

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Worst ever song to top the Billboard Hot 100

On PolySciFi, Matt posted that Paul Revere and the Raiders "Indian Reservation (The Lament of the Cherokee Indian)" just might be the worst song to ever hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. In no particular order, here are some other charttoppers I chose that might give "Indian Reservation" a run for it's money in the Worst Ever Challeng:

"Purple People Eater" Sheb Wooley
"Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" Brian Hyland
"Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter" Herman's Hermits
"I'm Henry VIII, I Am" Herman's Hermits
"Kung Fu Fighting" Carl Douglas
"Disco Duck (Part 1)" Rick Dees & His Cast Of Idiots
"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" Wham!
"I'm Too Sexy" Right Said Fred

If I had to pick just one, I'd probably go with Rick Dees' "Disco Duck." (Part 1)? Who knew there was a part two!

I'd also include the Macarena (Number one for 14 straight weeks!! Jeez, remember that halcyon summer of 1997?), but that was such a phenomenon and a gimmicky dance that it is pushed into the realm of cultural touchstone.

I also want to point out that The Raiders weren't all bad as they did do the classic "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone", which is a kickass song and was later covered by both The Monkees and The Sex Pistols.


Also, here's a song that some people won't know, is kinda quirky (Paul McCartney once remarked that it was the most original song he had ever heard), and is super fun to sing along with:
"Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)" John Fred & His Playboy Band

Anybody else have any other lesser known gems, they'd like to share?

No comments: