The New York Times > Movies > Critic's Choice: New DVD's Dave Kehr: New DVD's ~ NanoThoughts 1.0

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The New York Times > Movies > Critic's Choice: New DVD's Dave Kehr: New DVD's

Those damn liberals at the nytimes have a writeup about Alain Resnais' latest film. I didn't even realize he was still alive, let alone making movies. Good for him. The New York Times > Movies > Critic's Choice: New DVD's Dave Kehr: New DVD's The funny thing is how they mention that it's straight to DVD and didn't even get an art house run, because nobody would be able to make sense out of it. You'd think that Audrey Tautou would at least bring some business to the box office.

Here's his imdb page: Alain Resnais. Pretty amazing that he did "Hiroshima, Mon Amour" and "Last Year at Marienbad" back to back. I dont' know if I've ever blogged my top 10, or top 5 movies, but "Last Year at Marienbad" is definitely in there. Along with "Groundhog Day", "The Godfather", "Casablanca" among others.

Se7en is the 48th ranked film on the imdb top 250. While it's a perfectly good thriller/mystery, that is hilarious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no clue what to make of 'Marienbad'. I think I fell asleep towards the end. It was hard to tell, though, since there really wasn't a plot.

Normally I like weird, atmospheric movies like that, so maybe it was just too late at night when I watched it.

Rog said...

I agree that you can't watch those if you're the least bit tired. Interestingly, I was just reading Argyle's The Psychology of Happiness last night and he was talking about movies and their use for mood induction. i.e. people who are bored usually watch action films, while those who are stressed out like to unwind to comedies and lighter fare. They're sort of trying to achieve a form of psychological homeostasis.