There's Something About Mary ~ NanoThoughts 1.0

Friday, October 15, 2004

There's Something About Mary

I think it's tacky at best and pretty offensive at worst how Edwards and Kerry both brought up Mary Cheney in the debates. First of all, I don't see what she has to do with this election at all. If they're trying to point out inconsistencies in the Republican camp or trying to trip them up, it isn't going to work. CHeney's response during his debate was something like "The President makes the policy and I support the policy." which I read into as saying: If I [Cheney] were president, i wouldn't necessarily set that policy, but I'll always stick in my boss's corner despite personal differences." Anyway, I think the bottom line is that Kerry's "handlers" are being complete idiots about this and I thought Edwards was enough. I can't believe Kerry brought it up. Freaking idiot.

On another note, Bush has a great sense of humor. I wish he still drank, cuz I'd gladly split a 12 pack with him.

3 comments:

Rog said...

I'm pretty sure that Bush knows about Cheney's daughter already and I don't think his motives were necessarily so altruistic. I think both sides are playing the issue for votes (just like every other issue, of course), but this is one that a single person who isn't even running gets pulled into. Of course, the spouses are always pulled in too, who can forget "If Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered..."
Thanks for the compliment about the blog.

Anonymous said...

Well, it was Gwen Ifill who brougt up Mary Cheney in the Veep debate, so you cannot really blame Edwards for that.

I thought Kerry should not have said her name, and I wish that, if he was going to name names, he had also named someone from the other side, like Chrissy Gephardt. On the other hand, compared to Bush denying his own bin Laden comments, it's not something I spend a lot of time worrying about.

Clearly this is a matter of taste, but when Bush makes a joke I generally want to punch him in the nose. Maybe it's because I usually feel like he's joking with the lives and livelihoods of millions of people. Plus, I mean, "You wanna buy some wood?" come the fuck on. It's even worse because he does own (part of) that lumber company.

J.p.

Rog said...

Yeah, I forgot that Gwen brought up [Cheney's] "family" in the question. Good point. Still, there was that "loving a leper" feel to all of it which left a bad taste in my mouth. I agree that Kerry should'nt have brought her up again, especially when it was Bush he was debating. Either way, it doesn't matter much what I think because it won't change who I'm voting for, but it was a bad move tactically by the Kerry camp.